- With Coronavirus Around The Corner It’s Time To Scrap Sanctions And Brutal Benefit Assessments
- Climate Chaos Is Class War And No-one Should Be Telling Us How To Fight It
- What’s Wrong With Woman’s Place?
- Simon Chapman, A Very Distinguished Fucking Anarchist
- Sanction Low Paid Worker’s Benefits To #solveukpoverty Say The Joseph Rowntree Foundation
- Hunger, Homelessness and Despair, The Stark Reality of the Benefit Cap
- DPAC Week of Action – September 4th-10th. #RightsNotGames
- The Working Class Is Back In The Game, Let’s Make Sure We Fucking Stay There
- What A Shambles, Lord Fraud’s Budgeting Support Trials An Embarrassing, Expensive Flop
- Shocking Transphobia From Evangelical Group Linked To Stephen Crabb
- Stephen Crabb Sits On Council Of Gay Cure Church Front Group
- Shades Of The Workhouse, Lord Fraud Hints At Mandatory Jobs Training In Hostels And Women’s Refuges
- To The Streets! Support The Cleaners Striking Against Corporate Property Vultures @CBRE
- The Future Is There For The Taking, Now Is The Time To Wage Class War Against The Rich
- New Disability Tests Are Even Worse Than First Feared, Join The Fightback On July 13th
- RT @genrentuk: If your landlord gave you notice on or before 28 August and you haven’t moved yet, the government has just published new gui… 3 days ago
- RT @benefitforums: @dwppressoffice @thesundaytimes @DWP @NeilCouling Headlines Today: Universal credit: benefit that kept Britain from th… 1 week ago
- @Henriettaspoon Posie doesn't own the copyright, the New York State Department of Commerce do. Posie's billboard a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- @VictoriaPeckham @jilliancyork @thetimes And a daft appeal by Bergdorf with no evidence of any malign intent. It's… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- @VictoriaPeckham @jilliancyork @thetimes Most of the piece is about things Peter Tatchell said decades ago or a Net… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 week ago
- User-led network could close as latest victim of competition from big charitiesBy John Pring Disability News Service 3rd May 2018 A national network of mental health service-users, survivors and activists is facing closure next month if it cannot secure new funding, after becoming the latest victim of competition from large, non-user-led … Continue reading →
- User-led network could close as latest victim of competition from big charities
- Challenging Universal Credit and Conditionality Workshop – Anarchist Festival 2019Why should everyone be taking action against Universal Credit (UC)? Want to know the facts about UC and how to avoid an early move to it? Want to find out how to minimise and challenge conditionality when claiming UC? Want to discuss what UC means politically? Then come along to our workshop on Sunday 2nd […]
- Challenging Universal Credit and Conditionality Workshop – Anarchist Festival 2019
- Disability News Service 17th SeptemberCQC’s care agency COVID deaths secrecy ‘puts commercial interests before disabled people’ The care regulator has been accused of prioritising the financial interests of home care agencies over the safety of disabled people, after refusing to release information that would show which of them have reported deaths of service-users linked to coronavirus. The C […]
- Disability News Service 17th September
- The New Wave of Covid-19 Claimants and the Old Wave of Universal Credit Problems.The New Wave of Claimants. A few days ago this was the news (BBC), The UK unemployment rate has risen to its highest level for two years, official figures show. The unemployment rate grew to 4.1% in the three months to July, compared with 3.9% previously. Young people were particularly hard hit, with those aged […]
- The New Wave of Covid-19 Claimants and the Old Wave of Universal Credit Problems.
- xmas closureDue to the Kingsgate Community Centre being closed over Xmas 2019 the last KUWG meeting for 2019 is Thursday 19th December, recommencing in 2020 Thursday 9th January. Happy Post-Election Xmas, if possible!
- xmas closure
- Now Extinction Rebellion is really threatening power, Priti Patel is labelling them ‘extremists’This opinion piece first appeared on The Canary website on 9 September Whether you agree with their politics or not, it’s really no surprise that with one very effective protest, campaigners from Extinction Rebellion (XR) are suddenly no longer simply mocked by conservative media commentators as ‘middle-class crusties’ but denounced, at the highest levels, a […]
- Now Extinction Rebellion is really threatening power, Priti Patel is labelling them ‘extremists’
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
Tag Archives: Westminster Council
The Tory vermin at Westminster Council intend to abrogate their responsibility to families unable to meet excessive rents by claiming any eviction due to rent arrears may be considered ‘intentional homelessness’.
With thousands in the borough facing shortfalls in their rent due to the Housing Benefit caps, Westminster Council warn:
“If you do not make up the shortfall in your rent, take insufficient action to resolve the situation and are evicted for rent arrears, you could be considered intentionally homeless.”
When someone is declared intentionally homeless this means that the council no longer has a statutory duty to provide housing, even for vulnerable residents. This can often apply to those with children. In the past this has led to some homeless families being informed that a council will house the children (by issuing care proceedings) but the parents are not eligible for help.
Westminster Council are encouraging people on benefits to move out of the borough completely. With the plans to criminalise street sleeping and ban soup runs, the social cleansing of Westminster, first dreamed up by Shirley Porter, will be complete.
As part of the third National Day of Protest Against Benefit Cuts a demonstration and mass free food give away has been called for outside Westminster City Hall on the 14th April – 5pm. Other London events and actions are also planned – watch this space.
Homeless charity Thames Reach’s supremo Jeremy Swain has shown that with friends like him homeless people really don’t need enemies. By supporting Westminster Council’s draconian bid to ban people from giving food to homeless people Swain has revealed the nasty side of some within the homeless industry.
Leading poverty pimp Swain has concerns that not toadying up to the Tory run council might affect the huge
salary funding his organisation receives from them. On twitter yesterday he claimed that soup runs were ‘Disconnected,ineffectual’ and only offer ‘tea and sympathy’ … and soup presumably.
Swain believes that any street based services not run by Thames Reach themselves may affect
his salary cause life on the street to become too easy. He complains that soup runs and other smaller charities rarely refer the people who use them to other services such as night shelters and hostels. Swain knows this is because most of those services are run by Thames Reach and other homeless industry monoliths like them and they do not offer referral rights to anyone outside their club. Swain also knows that many hostels charge huge rents (usually at cost to the tax payer), offer poor standards of accommodation and in the worst cases are dangerous and more akin to open prisons than a real alternative to life on the street.
Presumably Swain also realises that people handing out food, sleeping bags and sympathy keeps some people alive. Still an outcome’s an outcome. Death is well known as a tried and trusted mechanism to keep the street population down.
It’s not just free food that get’s Swain’s goat. One of his greatest concerns is the price of strong lager. We’d be inclined to agree, except Swain thinks it’s too cheap. Good little homeless people aren’t supposed to drink and, instead of questioning why so many do with angels like Thames Reach to protect them, Swain insists on making life that little bit more difficult. Even Christmas spirit should offer no relent to this torment according to Swain and the gang. Thames Reach released a statement urging people not to give to beggars this Christmas because they’ll only spend it all on booze or drugs, the bastards. Instead the likes of Thames Reach and notorious charity muggers St Mungos (who regularly beg on the street themselves) insist that people give money to them so they can continue to
maintain their salaries end street homelessness.
Strangely back in December Thames Reach advised people to buy homeless people food instead. What a difference
contract negotiations two months can make. Now they want people fined for carrying out their advice.
Thames Reach have been ending street homelessness forever and fully intend to continue doing so. Many executive salaries depend on it. Meanwhile the number of homeless people is set to soar as a result of the Government’s benefit cuts and housing policies. Some housing organisations such as Inside Housing and Shelter have rightly condemned the measures being proposed (even if they haven’t gone far enough). Poverty pimps like Thames Reach and St Mungos have been conspicuous in their absence from the debate. They would probably argue (behind closed doors) that they need to urgently preserve
executive salaries budgets and as they are dependent on government and Local Authority funding they are unable to challenge government policy too vigorously. Anyway Swain has described the very real threat of mass homelessness as ‘tosh’ and warned on twitter that people should not join the ‘bangwagon (sic) of the apocalyptic’. If it looks like a tory and sounds like a tory …
This Government is set to devastate the lives of the very people these charities were established to help. It’s time that the service users that keep these charities in business, and the front line staff currently facing redundancies, turn to their self-elected leaders like Swain and ask precisely whose side are you fucking on.