An action organised by the Greater London Pensioners’ Association, supported by Fuel Poverty Action and DPAC.
Saturday October 27 | Westfield Stratford Shopping Centre.
Meet at 12 noon outside the upper-level entrance to Primark
From Fuel Poverty Action
The latest gas and electricity price rises are a nail in many coffins. 65 people died every day last winter as a result of illnesses caused by cold homes. Many of these people were pensioners and disabled people. As energy company prices – and profits – soar, there will be many more deaths this year.
If we can’t afford to heat our homes we have a right to go into any warm building and make ourselves at home!
- We have the right to warm up inside the offices of those driving fuel poverty: the Big Six energy companies, the government, landlords and letting agents.
- We have the right to warm up inside public spaces threatened by cuts including libraries and day centres, which keep many people warm throughout the winter.
- We have the right to warm up inside warm, privatised spaces that keep us shut out including shops, banks and shopping centres.
Pensioners from the Greater London Pensioners’ Association will be asserting this right by coming out of their cold homes and warming up inside the toasty Westfield Stratford shopping centre.
- That the government reinstate the Winter Fuel Allowance in full (this has been cut by £50 for those over 60 and £100 for those over 80.)
- That the energy companies reinvest in affordable, cleaner and safer energy supplies and use their enormous profits to do so, instead of putting the cost on to the consumer.
- That the government acknowledge an entitlement of all including the sick, disabled people, the elderly and families with young children, to a well insulated, warm place to live in good repair.
Please come along to support this pensioner-led action: https://www.facebook.com/events/289105317866052/
(Don’t forget London Anarchist Bookfair, on the same day and not far away at Queen Mary’s University, Mile End. Boycott Workfare will be hosting a meeting at 2pm)