- RT @AnitaBellows12: Wednesday 8th July – DPAC Return to Parliament in a day of action to say #Balls2TheBudget. shar.es/1qkVxY via … 2 days ago
- RT @Independent: Sotheby's cleaners banned from work after protest asking for better sick pay ind.pn/1FVkcUV http://t.co/SqwHMarsn7 2 days ago
- RT @AaronBastani: Britain in 2015: on Wednesday @Sothebys sold a Warhol for £21 million, on Thursday it fired cleaners and porters who want… 2 days ago
- Forced Therapy at the DWP - Sanctions and Workfare get a new ally wp.me/p6nekn-1a via @PaulHowsley 4 days ago
- RT @HousingActionSL: Callout: Eviction Resistance this Friday - follow us for the latest updates/news | …tionsouthwarkandlambeth.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/cal… http://t.… 4 days ago
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- National Day of Action Against B&M Bargains – all the actionsHere is the full list (as far as we know) of actions in the national day of action against B&M Bargains’ use of workfare today, Saturday 27th June! If you’re going to one of these actions , let us know how you get along by email, or on Twitter. The hashtag for the day of action is #BandMDayofAction […]
- National Day of Action Against B&M Bargains – all the actions
- “When Assisted Death is Legal”In 2012, thanks to an award from The Winston Churchill Travelling Fellowship, disabled actor and activist Liz Carr travelled to the then five countries where assisted suicide and/or euthanasia are legal ie Belgium, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Luxembourg and in the USA, Oregon and Washington State. (Assisted suicide is now also legal in the US state… Conti […]
- “When Assisted Death is Legal”
- THIS BLOG IS NOW CLOSED FOR GOODWhen the mode of the music changes the walls of the city shake.
- THIS BLOG IS NOW CLOSED FOR GOOD
- Threat to Housing Benefit as 10% Claimant “Contribution” to Rent Floated.One of Iain Duncan Smith’s Gaffs: No Housing Benefit Problems for him! “State benefits paid to thousands of sick and disabled people could be cut by £30 a week as part of the £12bn of welfare cuts to be implemented by the Government.” reports the Independent today. People on housing benefit could be forced to […]
- Threat to Housing Benefit as 10% Claimant “Contribution” to Rent Floated.
- Resisting ‘Prevent’ and the War on DissentIn hospital departments, council offices, GP surgeries and schools across the country, trainers are preparing an army of staff for a new ‘war on terrorism': their task, to identify those who may have supposedly stepped onto “an escalator of radicalisation”. From today, provisions within the Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015 shift the government’s […]
- Resisting ‘Prevent’ and the War on Dissent
- Can DWP providers force you to use Universal Jobmatch clones like myworksearch.co.uk and www.avantajobs.com?Universal Jobmatch (UJ) and consent It is self-evident that Universal Jobmatch (UJ) can be and is used to facilitate benefit sanctions and total loss of benefits. This as such is the principle reason the Information Commissioners Office requires that the … Continue reading →
- Can DWP providers force you to use Universal Jobmatch clones like myworksearch.co.uk and www.avantajobs.com?
Monthly Archives: July 2011
It’s open season on the News of the World and that, by any sane indicator, is probably a good thing. Let’s hope they get some real justice delivered to their doorstep at tomorrow’s protest outside their offices.
The real story is that the police sat on this information for so long and Cameron’s cosy relationship with all things Murdoch. This is already disappearing under the reams of self-satisfied liberal tweeters and guardianistas announcing the latest multi-national blood sucker to pick up a bit of free PR by pulling an ad from this weekend’s newspaper.
It already looks like Cameron and no doubt Murdoch will walk away unscathed. They’ve had a long time to prepare for this, thanks to the inaction of the filth. The NOTW will either cling on or merge with the Sun and normal service will be resumed after this break from their sponsors.
Of course hacking a missing teenager’s phone is fucking out of order, particularly as it led to false hope for her parents. The same applies to 7/7 victims and dead soldiers families, although possibly not to celebrities and MPs. No-one really gave a shit about that. At the very least what we’re seeing is some boundaries set as to who the public consider fair game.
It may surprise some people but most NOTW readers aren’t stupid. They know, probably more so than holier than thou Guardian readers, that the press are a bunch of hypocritical lying wankers. They read it for the footie, the telly, the horoscopes or because they want to know who Ryan Giggs is shagging this week. It’s entertainment with a bit of news on top. And it fits in your back pocket.
It may be that the News of the World has crossed a line with it’s readers, just as the Sun did in Liverpool over the Hillsborough tragedy. A mass boycott this Sunday is possible and would be genuinely fucking funny. Pleading with other capitalists to sort it all out for us and make that nasty Mr Murdoch go away is just silly.
Whether a mass boycott does happen remains to be seen. If it does it will have little to do with anything some liberal said on twitter. For now people still appear to be buying the Sun. Compared to actively working to destroy working class communities, engineering hate campaigns against the sick, disabled and unemployed, or ruthlessly slandering a city in mourning, this all seems just a bit, well, under-whelming. People have got bigger shit to worry about at the moment. This was grubby hacks doing grubby hack shit. No-one died as a result of their actions.
The likes of Ford and NPower currently enjoying the
free corporate PR moral high ground by pulling ads do worse shit than this every fucking day. And meanwhile the rest of the corporate press, who are equally up to their necks in it, will enjoy the boost in ad revenue the current campaign is gifting them.
This hasn’t stopped the liberal twitterati jumping up and down with glee every time some corporate parasite grabs a bit of free air time by withdrawing an ad from the NOTW. Vote now says Sunny Hundal (ever the opportunist), email them, tweet, jump up and down in outrage, let’s see who we can boot out of the Newscorp house this week.
It’s capitalism that has driven the tabloids to become ever more intrusive and drag every last drop of sensational copy from every tragedy. It’s capitalism that has driven the tabloid witch hunts, the hate campaigns and the alienation which means some people know more about what Chezza’s up to than their neighbours. And it’s capitalism that has forced all of the corporate press, along with politicians, so far to the right of the political spectrum that it’s become the default setting even in the Guardian and the Mirror. It’s all about the money.
Appealing to other capitalists to change things is worse than futile. They will point to the inbuilt morality of the market whilst milking the situation for every last penny they can get. Perhaps NOTW will go down, perhaps not. Either way the market will be shown to have triumphed. Enjoy the spectacle folks. I’d rather watch X Factor.