- It Had To Happen. Soon You Could Face An In-Work Benefit Sanction … For Going To Work
- From Tragedy To Farce, How Universal Credit’s Work Related Activity Is Beyond A Joke
- Current Benefit Sanctions Policy Is Bonkers Says Workfare Industry’s Top Spokesperson
- Government Statistics No Longer Reliable Say Charities As Homelessness Epidemic Gets Even Worse
- The Fight To Save Social Security Won’t Be Over Whoever Wins The Election, Come To The Welfare Action Gathering – 30th May
- They Are Coming For Our Pensions … And This Is How It Begins
- Inflation Flat, Rents Soaring And Letting Agents Are Still Whining
- Iain Duncan Smith’s Plan To Privatise … Everything?
- Behind The Benefit Bashing Headlines Lies A Nasty Ideology That Is Not Confined To The Daily Mail
- What A Fucking Shambles, Work Programme Still Worse Than Doing Nothing At All
- DWP Attempts To Increase Welfare-to-Work Companies’ Power To Snoop On Claimants
- Boycott Workfare Week of Action 25 April – 2 May: No workfare! No sanctions! Whoever wins we will resist!
- Michael Green Lives! Grant Shapps’ Former Website Still Registered To His Fake ID
- The London Metropolitan Police Are The Biggest Fucking Wankers Of All
- The Stench Of Racism That Has Always Haunted Iain Duncan Smith
- @musingsofh23 hope to get a post up about it this week 4 hours ago
- RT @musingsofh23: @johnnyvoid Support needed for #MarchfortheHomeless London facebook.com/events/1598140… … … Will you support us? pls RT http:/… 4 hours ago
- It Had To Happen. Soon You Could Face An In-Work Benefit Sanction ... For Going To Work wp.me/p1Awq-2h6 4 hours ago
- From Tragedy To Farce, How Universal Credit's Work Related Activity Is Beyond A Joke wp.me/p1Awq-2h2 1 day ago
- Current Benefit Sanctions Policy Is Bonkers Says Workfare Industry's Top Spokesperson wp.me/p1Awq-2gQ 2 days ago
- Victory for Black Triangle Campaign as Doctors’ union finally agrees to spread the word on ‘life-saving’ WCA rulesThe doctors’ union has finally agreed to tell every GP in the country about two regulations that campaigners believe could protect disabled people facing the controversial “fitness for work” test Continue reading →
- Victory for Black Triangle Campaign as Doctors’ union finally agrees to spread the word on ‘life-saving’ WCA rules
- Welfare Action Gathering – 30th MaySaturday 30th May, 10.30am-5.30pm, London Welsh Centre (10 minutes’ walk from King’s Cross station) Faced with policies that are pushing ever more people into precarity and poverty, thousands of us have been coming together to support each other. We are pushing back workfare, standing up to sanctions, challenging the work capability assessment and fighting i […]
- Welfare Action Gathering – 30th May
- For ESA claimants in SG: Letter to send jobcentre BEFORE being invited to Work Related InterviewFor a while DPAC has been aware of ESA claimants in the Support Group receiving letters from the DWP asking them to attend a Work Related Interview. Although the letters say that attendance is on a voluntary basis, these letters have created much anxiety and uncertainty among claimants. ESA claimants in the Support Group do… Continue Reading For ESA claima […]
- For ESA claimants in SG: Letter to send jobcentre BEFORE being invited to Work Related Interview
- Ben Gummer, Ipswich Tory Candidate, Backs Sanctions Regime for Claimants.Gummer Raises a Pint to Punishing the Poor. Gummer Backs Sanctions Regime. In reply to a recent letter (23rd of March – above) protesting at the sanctions regime for Benefit claimants Mr Ben Gummer, Ipswich MP and now parliamentary candidate for Ipswich (Conservative) says this: “I […]
- Ben Gummer, Ipswich Tory Candidate, Backs Sanctions Regime for Claimants.
- WATCH: Y-Stop – staying safe if you are stopped and searchedA new film by Y-Stop aims to highlight rights and vital skills for young people in handling police stop and search incidents. Y-Stop is a collaboration between charities, lawyers, young people, youth workers, community and media organisations and is run by Release in partnership with StopWatch and Fully Focused. For more information visit y-stop.org
- WATCH: Y-Stop – staying safe if you are stopped and searched
- Just to let all know @refuted will be moving on from August and refuted.org.uk will be converted into an archiveIt’s a farewell to alms http://refuted.org.uk/rights/farewell/ Filed under: Misc
- Just to let all know @refuted will be moving on from August and refuted.org.uk will be converted into an archive
Monthly Archives: July 2011
It’s open season on the News of the World and that, by any sane indicator, is probably a good thing. Let’s hope they get some real justice delivered to their doorstep at tomorrow’s protest outside their offices.
The real story is that the police sat on this information for so long and Cameron’s cosy relationship with all things Murdoch. This is already disappearing under the reams of self-satisfied liberal tweeters and guardianistas announcing the latest multi-national blood sucker to pick up a bit of free PR by pulling an ad from this weekend’s newspaper.
It already looks like Cameron and no doubt Murdoch will walk away unscathed. They’ve had a long time to prepare for this, thanks to the inaction of the filth. The NOTW will either cling on or merge with the Sun and normal service will be resumed after this break from their sponsors.
Of course hacking a missing teenager’s phone is fucking out of order, particularly as it led to false hope for her parents. The same applies to 7/7 victims and dead soldiers families, although possibly not to celebrities and MPs. No-one really gave a shit about that. At the very least what we’re seeing is some boundaries set as to who the public consider fair game.
It may surprise some people but most NOTW readers aren’t stupid. They know, probably more so than holier than thou Guardian readers, that the press are a bunch of hypocritical lying wankers. They read it for the footie, the telly, the horoscopes or because they want to know who Ryan Giggs is shagging this week. It’s entertainment with a bit of news on top. And it fits in your back pocket.
It may be that the News of the World has crossed a line with it’s readers, just as the Sun did in Liverpool over the Hillsborough tragedy. A mass boycott this Sunday is possible and would be genuinely fucking funny. Pleading with other capitalists to sort it all out for us and make that nasty Mr Murdoch go away is just silly.
Whether a mass boycott does happen remains to be seen. If it does it will have little to do with anything some liberal said on twitter. For now people still appear to be buying the Sun. Compared to actively working to destroy working class communities, engineering hate campaigns against the sick, disabled and unemployed, or ruthlessly slandering a city in mourning, this all seems just a bit, well, under-whelming. People have got bigger shit to worry about at the moment. This was grubby hacks doing grubby hack shit. No-one died as a result of their actions.
The likes of Ford and NPower currently enjoying the
free corporate PR moral high ground by pulling ads do worse shit than this every fucking day. And meanwhile the rest of the corporate press, who are equally up to their necks in it, will enjoy the boost in ad revenue the current campaign is gifting them.
This hasn’t stopped the liberal twitterati jumping up and down with glee every time some corporate parasite grabs a bit of free air time by withdrawing an ad from the NOTW. Vote now says Sunny Hundal (ever the opportunist), email them, tweet, jump up and down in outrage, let’s see who we can boot out of the Newscorp house this week.
It’s capitalism that has driven the tabloids to become ever more intrusive and drag every last drop of sensational copy from every tragedy. It’s capitalism that has driven the tabloid witch hunts, the hate campaigns and the alienation which means some people know more about what Chezza’s up to than their neighbours. And it’s capitalism that has forced all of the corporate press, along with politicians, so far to the right of the political spectrum that it’s become the default setting even in the Guardian and the Mirror. It’s all about the money.
Appealing to other capitalists to change things is worse than futile. They will point to the inbuilt morality of the market whilst milking the situation for every last penny they can get. Perhaps NOTW will go down, perhaps not. Either way the market will be shown to have triumphed. Enjoy the spectacle folks. I’d rather watch X Factor.