- Achieve Your Potential Or Starve, The Government’s Real Message To Young Disabled People
- DWP In the Dock Again, This Time Over Benefit Cap
- A Sticky Situation For The Workfare Exploiters
- Another Court Disaster For The DWP As Atos Assessments Ruled Unfair
- Boycott Workfare Go To Brighton To Smash Benefit Sanctions
- Mencap Sponsor Workfare Award At Poverty Pimp Love In
- Demand Action On Benefit Sanctions at the PCS Conference
- DWP Ordered To Name The Workfare Exploiters
- Lying Bastard Wanted: DWP Advertise For Head of News
- Defend London’s NHS – Mass Demo This Saturday May 18th
- ‘We won’t reduce the rent … We’ll kick them out’: Research Reveals Landlord’s Response to Housing Benefit Reform
- Rise In Unemployment Down To Fall In Numbers On Workfare Admits DWP
- Stephanie Bottrill Blamed The Government For Her Suicide And So Should The Rest Of Us
- This Is What Austerity Looks Like – First Suicide Due To Bedroom Tax Reported
- Chris Grayling Hands Probation Service Over To Bunch Of Crooks
- @Shenanigans_PCS @boycottworkfare @unemploymentmov @IzzyKoksal a statement from @pcs_union could clarify where things stand at the moment 2 hours ago
- Achieve Your Potential Or Starve, The Government's Real Message To Young Disabled People wp.me/p1Awq-1FH 7 hours ago
- @der_bluthund @PsychoticLynx @brit_newsman In some cases its a possibility: johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/are… 22 hours ago
- RT @refuted: DWP loses 3 FOI appeals-must name #workfare exploiters consent.me.uk/2013/05/17/exp… Update-DWP submissions inc @boycottworkfare & @j… 1 day ago
- DWP In the Dock Again, This Time Over Benefit Cap wp.me/p1Awq-1FC 1 day ago
- Universal credit in danger of failing, official Whitehall review saysMajor Projects Authority's performance report on 170 most expensive projects gives flagship scheme same 'amber-red' status as Crossrail and HS2 Continue reading →
- Universal credit in danger of failing, official Whitehall review says
- Open letter to Avanta, Work ProgrammeAnother week, another admission from politicians that the government’s Work Programme is failing (but obviously without any moves to bring it to an end). This open letter of complaint highlights just how useless the Work Programme really is, and concludes “I think the only solution to my complaints is for your company (and the Work [...]
- Open letter to Avanta, Work Programme
- Achieve your Potential or Starve, The Government’s Real Message to Young Disabled PeopleAny campaign from this Government which claims to support disabled people should be viewed with suspicion and the latest offering from the DWP is no exception. The department yesterday put out a press release boasting: “Celebrities have joined forces with the government to help launch a campaign aiming to promote positive role models for disabled… Continue R […]
- Achieve your Potential or Starve, The Government’s Real Message to Young Disabled People
- BOOK MOVING DAY- SUNDAY 26th 1pmIn preperation for reopening on the 1st of June we will have to shift around a lot of our stock and being lazy are asking for your help. If you are free for a few hours on Sunday afternoon and can carry books up and down stairs please pop along.
- BOOK MOVING DAY- SUNDAY 26th 1pm
- PISSED UP EDL MARCHING FROM KINGSWOOD TO EASTON IN BRISTOL NOWAbout 60 EDL approaching Lawrence Hill, anti-fascists rushing onto streets, police helicopter overhead…ongoing…..now penned in th St.Georges Hall wetherspoons by cops….
- PISSED UP EDL MARCHING FROM KINGSWOOD TO EASTON IN BRISTOL NOW
- From Staffordshire to Stockholm: notes from the class struggleFor a while now, I’ve not really written anything substantial, just used this blog as a place to share links to things that I think are interesting. This is another of those posts, but at least it should be short. … Continue reading →
- From Staffordshire to Stockholm: notes from the class struggle
- Universal Credit and the 30 Hours a Week Jobsearch.30 hours a week Jobsearch for everybody signing-on? Apparently this assertion was a “mistake” by the Ipswich Adviser, but it is, apparently, going to be the rule when Universal Credit comes in. It is hard to find any confirmation of this. Is is true? Will we have to spend 30 hours over 7 days looking for work? […]
- Universal Credit and the 30 Hours a Week Jobsearch.
- Why we need dissenting voices to ruin the state show.Thatcher has been given a state ceremonial funeral. Our ruling class want to show the world how much she was loved and respected. They desperately don’t want any dissenting voices ruining the show. Fitwatch truly hopes that they do not get their wish. Thatcher was a prime architect of repressive policing and institutional racism. If [...]
- Why we need dissenting voices to ruin the state show.
Tag Archives: Westminster Council
The Tory vermin at Westminster Council intend to abrogate their responsibility to families unable to meet excessive rents by claiming any eviction due to rent arrears may be considered ‘intentional homelessness’.
With thousands in the borough facing shortfalls in their rent due to the Housing Benefit caps, Westminster Council warn:
“If you do not make up the shortfall in your rent, take insufficient action to resolve the situation and are evicted for rent arrears, you could be considered intentionally homeless.”
When someone is declared intentionally homeless this means that the council no longer has a statutory duty to provide housing, even for vulnerable residents. This can often apply to those with children. In the past this has led to some homeless families being informed that a council will house the children (by issuing care proceedings) but the parents are not eligible for help.
Westminster Council are encouraging people on benefits to move out of the borough completely. With the plans to criminalise street sleeping and ban soup runs, the social cleansing of Westminster, first dreamed up by Shirley Porter, will be complete.
As part of the third National Day of Protest Against Benefit Cuts a demonstration and mass free food give away has been called for outside Westminster City Hall on the 14th April – 5pm. Other London events and actions are also planned – watch this space.
Homeless charity Thames Reach’s supremo Jeremy Swain has shown that with friends like him homeless people really don’t need enemies. By supporting Westminster Council’s draconian bid to ban people from giving food to homeless people Swain has revealed the nasty side of some within the homeless industry.
Leading poverty pimp Swain has concerns that not toadying up to the Tory run council might affect the huge
salary funding his organisation receives from them. On twitter yesterday he claimed that soup runs were ‘Disconnected,ineffectual’ and only offer ‘tea and sympathy’ … and soup presumably.
Swain believes that any street based services not run by Thames Reach themselves may affect
his salary cause life on the street to become too easy. He complains that soup runs and other smaller charities rarely refer the people who use them to other services such as night shelters and hostels. Swain knows this is because most of those services are run by Thames Reach and other homeless industry monoliths like them and they do not offer referral rights to anyone outside their club. Swain also knows that many hostels charge huge rents (usually at cost to the tax payer), offer poor standards of accommodation and in the worst cases are dangerous and more akin to open prisons than a real alternative to life on the street.
Presumably Swain also realises that people handing out food, sleeping bags and sympathy keeps some people alive. Still an outcome’s an outcome. Death is well known as a tried and trusted mechanism to keep the street population down.
It’s not just free food that get’s Swain’s goat. One of his greatest concerns is the price of strong lager. We’d be inclined to agree, except Swain thinks it’s too cheap. Good little homeless people aren’t supposed to drink and, instead of questioning why so many do with angels like Thames Reach to protect them, Swain insists on making life that little bit more difficult. Even Christmas spirit should offer no relent to this torment according to Swain and the gang. Thames Reach released a statement urging people not to give to beggars this Christmas because they’ll only spend it all on booze or drugs, the bastards. Instead the likes of Thames Reach and notorious charity muggers St Mungos (who regularly beg on the street themselves) insist that people give money to them so they can continue to
maintain their salaries end street homelessness.
Strangely back in December Thames Reach advised people to buy homeless people food instead. What a difference
contract negotiations two months can make. Now they want people fined for carrying out their advice.
Thames Reach have been ending street homelessness forever and fully intend to continue doing so. Many executive salaries depend on it. Meanwhile the number of homeless people is set to soar as a result of the Government’s benefit cuts and housing policies. Some housing organisations such as Inside Housing and Shelter have rightly condemned the measures being proposed (even if they haven’t gone far enough). Poverty pimps like Thames Reach and St Mungos have been conspicuous in their absence from the debate. They would probably argue (behind closed doors) that they need to urgently preserve
executive salaries budgets and as they are dependent on government and Local Authority funding they are unable to challenge government policy too vigorously. Anyway Swain has described the very real threat of mass homelessness as ‘tosh’ and warned on twitter that people should not join the ‘bangwagon (sic) of the apocalyptic’. If it looks like a tory and sounds like a tory …
This Government is set to devastate the lives of the very people these charities were established to help. It’s time that the service users that keep these charities in business, and the front line staff currently facing redundancies, turn to their self-elected leaders like Swain and ask precisely whose side are you fucking on.