- Mencap Sponsor Workfare Award At Poverty Pimp Love In
- Demand Action On Benefit Sanctions at the PCS Conference
- DWP Ordered To Name The Workfare Exploiters
- Lying Bastard Wanted: DWP Advertise For Head of News
- Defend London’s NHS – Mass Demo This Saturday May 18th
- ‘We won’t reduce the rent … We’ll kick them out’: Research Reveals Landlord’s Response to Housing Benefit Reform
- Rise In Unemployment Down To Fall In Numbers On Workfare Admits DWP
- Stephanie Bottrill Blamed The Government For Her Suicide And So Should The Rest Of Us
- This Is What Austerity Looks Like – First Suicide Due To Bedroom Tax Reported
- Chris Grayling Hands Probation Service Over To Bunch Of Crooks
- Turn up the heat on British Gas: protest at the British Gas AGM on Monday 13th May
- Iain Duncan Smith Not A Lying Bastard Claims DWP
- Iain Duncan Smith Is A Lying Bastard – It’s Official Says UK Statistics Boss
- The £300 A Day Youth Unemployment Conference Where Unemployed People Aren’t Welcome
- Doctors Warn of The Hidden Costs of Welfare Reform
- RT @CSRF_Network: Phenomenal support and a bit of fun direct action lobbying #pcsadc - cheers all for coming http://t.co/3jm4DvnGij 1 hour ago
- RT @SanctionSabs: Sanction sabs are on the beach to tell PCS exec they need to take action on sanctions! #SmashSanctions 2 hours ago
- RT @Pete_Riches: New pix: bit.ly/10ICwfz "Defend London's NHS" protest - @johnnyvoid @redjolly1 @NSSN_AntiCuts @NoToUKCoalition @Di… 13 hours ago
- RT @IamRedFraggIe: .@Mencap_charity Sponsor #Workfare Award At #Poverty Pimp Love In wp.me/p1Awq-1Fn via @johnnyvoid #wowpetition RT 23 hours ago
- Mencap Sponsor Workfare Award At Poverty Pimp Love In wp.me/p1Awq-1Fn #workfare 1 day ago
- ESA Regulations 25 and 31 Campaign: Black Triangle to meet with Scottish Parliament Welfare Reform Committee chief this ThursdayBy John McArdle Black Triangle Campaign Sunday 19th May 2013 As our members and supporters know, Black Triangle has been at the forefront of lobbying members of the medical profession to help us bring an end to the DWP-Atos Work … Continue reading →
- ESA Regulations 25 and 31 Campaign: Black Triangle to meet with Scottish Parliament Welfare Reform Committee chief this Thursday
- ‘They could refer me to it whenever they liked’Job Centre Advisors routinely ignore their own rules; the process for challenging bad decisions is sometimes so obscure and long-winded that someone’s time on a placement is served before they get far enough to have the decision overturned. This person’s story highlights what a deeply frustrating process this can be. I was referred to Mandatory [...]
- ‘They could refer me to it whenever they liked’
- Roll up and come and join our birthday bash on June 10thIN JUNE THE INDEPENDENT LIVING FUND IS 25 YEARS OLD. The ILF has been invaluable to enable disabled people to live independently now without even any vote in parliament or any discussion the Butchers of Benefits have announced it will close from 2015 with no replacement funding for more than 12 months maximum. Many local… Continue Reading Roll up and come a […]
- Roll up and come and join our birthday bash on June 10th
- REOPENING PARTYWe will be having a grand reopening party for the Freedom Bookshop on Saturday 1st June starting 2pm. There will be nibbles and refreshments as well as highbrow bookish discourse and witty repartee. We extend an especial invite to everyone who has contributed to the cleanup and restoration. (p.s we’re still open upstairs in the [...]
- REOPENING PARTY
- Beating bosses in Birmingham, bothering blacklisters: mid-May round-upAnother quick round-up of a few interesting stories and upcoming events: on the benefits front, the big news of late is the legal victory won by workfare campaigners over the DWP, in a case which the government had previously warned … Continue reading →
- Beating bosses in Birmingham, bothering blacklisters: mid-May round-up
- Work Programme “Failing”, it’s Official.A new Report is out today. The government’s work programme, intended to help jobseekers back to work, is failing people with disabilities as well as not tackling problems faced by homeless people and those recovering from substance abuse. MPs found that although the Work Programme got off to a “poor” start there had since been […]
- Work Programme “Failing”, it’s Official.
- Why we need dissenting voices to ruin the state show.Thatcher has been given a state ceremonial funeral. Our ruling class want to show the world how much she was loved and respected. They desperately don’t want any dissenting voices ruining the show. Fitwatch truly hopes that they do not get their wish. Thatcher was a prime architect of repressive policing and institutional racism. If [...]
- Why we need dissenting voices to ruin the state show.
Monthly Archives: July 2011
It’s open season on the News of the World and that, by any sane indicator, is probably a good thing. Let’s hope they get some real justice delivered to their doorstep at tomorrow’s protest outside their offices.
The real story is that the police sat on this information for so long and Cameron’s cosy relationship with all things Murdoch. This is already disappearing under the reams of self-satisfied liberal tweeters and guardianistas announcing the latest multi-national blood sucker to pick up a bit of free PR by pulling an ad from this weekend’s newspaper.
It already looks like Cameron and no doubt Murdoch will walk away unscathed. They’ve had a long time to prepare for this, thanks to the inaction of the filth. The NOTW will either cling on or merge with the Sun and normal service will be resumed after this break from their sponsors.
Of course hacking a missing teenager’s phone is fucking out of order, particularly as it led to false hope for her parents. The same applies to 7/7 victims and dead soldiers families, although possibly not to celebrities and MPs. No-one really gave a shit about that. At the very least what we’re seeing is some boundaries set as to who the public consider fair game.
It may surprise some people but most NOTW readers aren’t stupid. They know, probably more so than holier than thou Guardian readers, that the press are a bunch of hypocritical lying wankers. They read it for the footie, the telly, the horoscopes or because they want to know who Ryan Giggs is shagging this week. It’s entertainment with a bit of news on top. And it fits in your back pocket.
It may be that the News of the World has crossed a line with it’s readers, just as the Sun did in Liverpool over the Hillsborough tragedy. A mass boycott this Sunday is possible and would be genuinely fucking funny. Pleading with other capitalists to sort it all out for us and make that nasty Mr Murdoch go away is just silly.
Whether a mass boycott does happen remains to be seen. If it does it will have little to do with anything some liberal said on twitter. For now people still appear to be buying the Sun. Compared to actively working to destroy working class communities, engineering hate campaigns against the sick, disabled and unemployed, or ruthlessly slandering a city in mourning, this all seems just a bit, well, under-whelming. People have got bigger shit to worry about at the moment. This was grubby hacks doing grubby hack shit. No-one died as a result of their actions.
The likes of Ford and NPower currently enjoying the
free corporate PR moral high ground by pulling ads do worse shit than this every fucking day. And meanwhile the rest of the corporate press, who are equally up to their necks in it, will enjoy the boost in ad revenue the current campaign is gifting them.
This hasn’t stopped the liberal twitterati jumping up and down with glee every time some corporate parasite grabs a bit of free air time by withdrawing an ad from the NOTW. Vote now says Sunny Hundal (ever the opportunist), email them, tweet, jump up and down in outrage, let’s see who we can boot out of the Newscorp house this week.
It’s capitalism that has driven the tabloids to become ever more intrusive and drag every last drop of sensational copy from every tragedy. It’s capitalism that has driven the tabloid witch hunts, the hate campaigns and the alienation which means some people know more about what Chezza’s up to than their neighbours. And it’s capitalism that has forced all of the corporate press, along with politicians, so far to the right of the political spectrum that it’s become the default setting even in the Guardian and the Mirror. It’s all about the money.
Appealing to other capitalists to change things is worse than futile. They will point to the inbuilt morality of the market whilst milking the situation for every last penny they can get. Perhaps NOTW will go down, perhaps not. Either way the market will be shown to have triumphed. Enjoy the spectacle folks. I’d rather watch X Factor.