- Why Falling Unemployment Can Be Bad News For Everyone
- DWP Block Report To Cover Up Work Programme Shambles
- Virgin Give The Game Away: Unpaid Worker Schemes Bring Corporate And Commercial Opportunities
- Bin British Gas: Put Power in Public Hands! Take Action On May 12th
- Just For The Record, The WCA Is Not Being Scrapped, Yet
- Who The Fuck Does Esther McVey Think She Is?
- The Rich Will Destroy London Like They Destroy Everything Else
- Housing Crisis, What Housing Crisis? Says Homelessness Charity Boss Jeremy Swain
- Join the physical or online blockade of the Salvation Army!
- Meet The Green Workfare Charity Boss Who Also Runs A Biotech Firm And Builds On Greenbelt Land
- Take Action Against The Green Charities Profiteering From Workfare
- Trade Unions Unite For Militant And Sustained General Strike Len McClusky Announces
- There’s Still No Pay At The Y.M.C.A – Boycott Workfare Target Forced Labour Charity
- Iain Duncan Smith Should Be Put On Trial Over The Work Capability Assessment Deaths
- Week Of Action Against Workfare Begins: Please Spread The Word!
- RT @lynnefriedli: Here's to sharp, funny, creative & satirical resistance to @DWPgovuk @boycottworkfare @UKJCP @refuted @ecap_org @johnnyvo… 1 day ago
- Why Falling Unemployment Can Be Bad News For Everyon wp.me/p1Awq-22M 1 day ago
- DWP Block Report To Cover Up Work Programme Shambles wp.me/p1Awq-22K 1 day ago
- RT @boycottworkfare: .@virginmedia Trainees are entitled to the minimum wage. Your trainees are only entitled to claim benefits. We call th… 2 days ago
- RT @booksandbuses: Massively important stuff from @boycottworkfare on increasing links between workfare and housing boycottworkfare.org/?p=3525 … 2 days ago
- The leadership of the British Medical Association is ‘complicit in the suicides of Britain’s disabled people’For the BMA not to act 'is in our view to be complicit in the deaths of innocent people whose only crime is to have the misfortune to be sick and/or disabled' ~ Black Triangle Campaign "History will not hold them guiltless." Continue reading →
- The leadership of the British Medical Association is ‘complicit in the suicides of Britain’s disabled people’
- Workfare and housingAs we struggle to access our subsistence benefits – trying to navigate around workfare, benefit sanctions, and disrespect encountered in the job centre – often, simultaneously, we are struggling to keep a roof over our heads. Welfare and housing are closely connected, the poor state of both of them is causing poverty and suffering. The […]
- Workfare and housing
- DPAC Press Release: Top Corrie stars Support Save ILF CampaignDPAC Press Release: Top Corrie stars Support Save ILF Campaign For immediate release: 16 April 2014 Coronation Street stars support the ‘Save the Independent Living Fund’ Postcard Campaign. Stars of Britain’s longest running soap joined disabled people in their campaign to Save the ILF(1). The fund which provides support funding to almost 20 000 disabled pe […]
- DPAC Press Release: Top Corrie stars Support Save ILF Campaign
- FORMER PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER BEHIND ‘ON BLACKHEATH’and yesterday he said this: ‘We have spent four years sourcing the best street food, the best Michelin starred people’ best fucking street food?????? WOT THE FUCK? does he mean out of bins?
- FORMER PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER BEHIND ‘ON BLACKHEATH’
- Help to Work (Workfare): A Failure Before it’s Begun.Coming in a couple of weeks, Community Work Placements The Work Programme is supporting claimants to move off benefit and into work – increasing numbers are finding a job – but it was recognised that there would be claimants returning. Claimants who do not find sustained employment during their time on the Work Programme will […]
- Help to Work (Workfare): A Failure Before it’s Begun.
- East Midlands anti-fracking camp activists trained as legal observersMembers of Netpol partner organisation Green and Black Cross (GBC) travelled to the East Midlands yesterday to provide training for activists at the new ‘Daneshill Community Protection Camp‘ on becoming effective legal observers. After fracking company Dart Energy moved its rig (below) from Cheshire at the end of March to the former Royal Ordnance factory s […]
- East Midlands anti-fracking camp activists trained as legal observers
- DWP: Latest Jobmatch guidance[Universal Jobmatch: Your key rights] Disclosed on 15/4/14 https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/201552/response/504427/attach/html/3/1138%20Response.pdf.html of note is the ability to notify a sanction based requirement for people on JSA or UC to apply for a specific job seemingly by telephone and face-to-face contact only. 118: … Continue reading →
- DWP: Latest Jobmatch guidance
Monthly Archives: July 2011
It’s open season on the News of the World and that, by any sane indicator, is probably a good thing. Let’s hope they get some real justice delivered to their doorstep at tomorrow’s protest outside their offices.
The real story is that the police sat on this information for so long and Cameron’s cosy relationship with all things Murdoch. This is already disappearing under the reams of self-satisfied liberal tweeters and guardianistas announcing the latest multi-national blood sucker to pick up a bit of free PR by pulling an ad from this weekend’s newspaper.
It already looks like Cameron and no doubt Murdoch will walk away unscathed. They’ve had a long time to prepare for this, thanks to the inaction of the filth. The NOTW will either cling on or merge with the Sun and normal service will be resumed after this break from their sponsors.
Of course hacking a missing teenager’s phone is fucking out of order, particularly as it led to false hope for her parents. The same applies to 7/7 victims and dead soldiers families, although possibly not to celebrities and MPs. No-one really gave a shit about that. At the very least what we’re seeing is some boundaries set as to who the public consider fair game.
It may surprise some people but most NOTW readers aren’t stupid. They know, probably more so than holier than thou Guardian readers, that the press are a bunch of hypocritical lying wankers. They read it for the footie, the telly, the horoscopes or because they want to know who Ryan Giggs is shagging this week. It’s entertainment with a bit of news on top. And it fits in your back pocket.
It may be that the News of the World has crossed a line with it’s readers, just as the Sun did in Liverpool over the Hillsborough tragedy. A mass boycott this Sunday is possible and would be genuinely fucking funny. Pleading with other capitalists to sort it all out for us and make that nasty Mr Murdoch go away is just silly.
Whether a mass boycott does happen remains to be seen. If it does it will have little to do with anything some liberal said on twitter. For now people still appear to be buying the Sun. Compared to actively working to destroy working class communities, engineering hate campaigns against the sick, disabled and unemployed, or ruthlessly slandering a city in mourning, this all seems just a bit, well, under-whelming. People have got bigger shit to worry about at the moment. This was grubby hacks doing grubby hack shit. No-one died as a result of their actions.
The likes of Ford and NPower currently enjoying the
free corporate PR moral high ground by pulling ads do worse shit than this every fucking day. And meanwhile the rest of the corporate press, who are equally up to their necks in it, will enjoy the boost in ad revenue the current campaign is gifting them.
This hasn’t stopped the liberal twitterati jumping up and down with glee every time some corporate parasite grabs a bit of free air time by withdrawing an ad from the NOTW. Vote now says Sunny Hundal (ever the opportunist), email them, tweet, jump up and down in outrage, let’s see who we can boot out of the Newscorp house this week.
It’s capitalism that has driven the tabloids to become ever more intrusive and drag every last drop of sensational copy from every tragedy. It’s capitalism that has driven the tabloid witch hunts, the hate campaigns and the alienation which means some people know more about what Chezza’s up to than their neighbours. And it’s capitalism that has forced all of the corporate press, along with politicians, so far to the right of the political spectrum that it’s become the default setting even in the Guardian and the Mirror. It’s all about the money.
Appealing to other capitalists to change things is worse than futile. They will point to the inbuilt morality of the market whilst milking the situation for every last penny they can get. Perhaps NOTW will go down, perhaps not. Either way the market will be shown to have triumphed. Enjoy the spectacle folks. I’d rather watch X Factor.